magikspells

magikspells

Etiquette & Espionage - Gail Carriger Steampunk is hardly a genre that I feel like I'm qualified to make grand statements about, but I'm going to be honest. I think Gail Carriger writes some of the best steampunk novels I've picked up. After the Parasol Protectorate series, I was ridiculously excited to pick up this series. And I'm very glad to say that I wasn't disappointed.

Carriger has a gift for wit. She has this amazing ability to talk about something very outrageous in a way that is both believable and amusing (if you don't laugh outloud reading or listening to her books, you aren't paying attention). I especially appreciated the comment about how 'There's nothing a vampire hates more than a stain' or something to that extent. She has her own spin on the entire world of the supernatural that I don't think any other author can match.

But enough of worshiping at the alter of Gail, at least for now. This book unlike the last serious is aimed at a YA audience. It exists in the same world she's built in her first series, only this story takes place before the story of Alexia Tarroboti. The protagnoist of this story is Sophronia Temminnick, who is a precocious 14 year old girl who's been recruited for a Finish School that's not quite like a normal finishing school. Like Alexia, Sophronia is outgoing, headstrong, independent, and likable.

The story follows Sophornia's adventures as she attempts to figure out her way through this Finishing School while trying to solve the mystery of a new communication device that she shouldn't know about. I won't go into the other characters because I'll end up writing this review for the next few hours. I will say that there are familiar names and characters who show up in this story, which is always a plus for me.

All in all, I enjoyed this, I'm looking forward to more.