magikspells

magikspells

The Lost Prince - Julie Kagawa This would really be somewhere between 3 and 4 stars.

Honestly, I didn't hate this book. But I didn't love it either. And I really really wanted to love it, after all I love the Iron Fey series so much.

This series tells the story of Ethan Chase, who you might remember as the very small younger brother of Megan in [b:The Iron King|6644117|The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)|Julie Kagawa|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327877670s/6644117.jpg|6838626]. Yes, that is him on the cover, not so little anymore. Ethan is a typical brooding teenager of 16 now who is cursed with the 'sight' or the ability to see the fair folk. This tends to get him into a lot of trouble, which is naturally how to story starts.

I can imagine it would be easy to pick up the story here without having read the other books. But being as I have read the other books, I suppose that my opinion on that would be biased. But starting with this one would lose the suspense of the others. I'd highly recommend reading the first series before.

I think it's also prudent to recommend reading the novellas as well, at least [b:Iron's Prophecy|15724014|Iron's Prophecy (The Iron Fey, #4.5)|Julie Kagawa|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1340766383s/15724014.jpg|21399217], if not then everyone, especially Megan, comes off as a little bitchy and evasive. If you know why they're behaving like this, it's easier to swallow.

I didn't hate this older Ethan nor did I hate Kenzie or Keirran (who you've obviously met before in [b:The Iron Knight|9659607|The Iron Knight (Iron Fey, #4)|Julie Kagawa|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1321070569s/9659607.jpg|14547221]) . There were some character revelations that weren't all that surprising if you thought about it. The story just felt like it was missing something, perhaps it was that lightheartedness that Puck used to bring.

The story of the Forgotten Fey is interesting so far, I sometimes felt like it was moving a little slowly to get to that point and that once the end came very little was revealed or resolved. All in all, I enjoyed it. I'll continue reading naturally, I do hope to see more excitement.