magikspells

magikspells

The False Prince  - Jennifer A. Nielsen, Charlie McWade Coming off of reading [b:The Maze Runner|6186357|The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)|James Dashner|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1369690691s/6186357.jpg|6366642], I really expected to hate this book from the beginning. All I could think was GREAT another all boy cast and animosity among them, blah blah blah.

I'm perfectly content to say that I was wrong about this book. I LOVED it! This book didn't spend a lot of time in getting to the actual plot and creating some action. Sage is a lovely, sarcastic, asshole of a character who has been bought by a wealthy aristocrat Connor from an orphanage along with a group of other boys around his age. They bare a resemblance to Prince Jaron who went missing 4 years ago after his ship was attacked by pirates. Connor wishes to have one of the boys pretend to be Jaron, to take the throne since the royal family has been murdered. The competition between the boys is fierce, none of whom want to return to the orphanages they were in.

You think you know where this book is going. But you don't. And I love that. I so rarely find myself surprised by a YA book, better yet a YA high fantasy book, but this one got me. On several occasions. Sage is a perfect narrator, he's smart, funny, and honestly hard to dislike.

I think the only problem with this book was that there wasn't much world building. I've read enough high fantasy that I didn't really feel like I was missing out on anything, but it could use some work. Now I'm debating whether to go onto the next one or go with the others I already have lined up. Ugh decisions.